Highland Presybyterian Church

History of the church

In November 2009, Highland Presbyterian Church celebrated its sixtieth anniversary. Sixty years ago a number of people invested their money and time towards building not only with bricks and mortar, but also with faithful service. Our current congregation, after more than 60 years, continues to build joyfully on that foundation with our hands, hearts and minds.

1949 Dr. Julian Lake, pastor of First Presbyterian Church, breaks ground for a new church in Ardmore. First worship services begin at First Presbyterian Church on Sunday afternoons at 5 p.m.

1950 Worship services moved to 11 a.m. in the Education Building on Cloverdale Avenue. Scouting program begins and Bill Thacker is named the first Church School Superintendent. Dr. George Staples is called as pastor of Highland.

1954 The first youth group is formed. Ground is broken for the new sanctuary.

1956 New sanctuary is completed at a cost of $257,270.99 and the first service is held in the new sanctuary. The Rev. Eugene Kirkman becomes Highland's second minister.

1960 Church membership surpasses 700. Activity Building is completed. The Rev. Malcolm Anderton assumes the position of our first minister of Christian Education.

1963 'Family Night' potluck suppers begin and are held once a month.

1969 Donna Funderburk succeeds Malcolm Anderton as Director of Christian Education.

1974 The Rev. J. Benjamin Kirkland, Jr., is called as Highland's third pastor. The 25th Anniversary of the church is observed on November 24. Highland forms a men's basketball team.

1975 Angie George assumes the position of Director of Christian Education.

1977 The Rev. James H. Banbury is called to be Highland's Associate Minister. The sanctuary is renovated.

1981 Highland's first Montreat Weekend is held with the theme, “Highland Fun in '81.”

1983 Under the leadership of Highland, Crop Walk becomes an annual citywide event. The Rev. Steve McCutchan is called as Highland's fourth minister.

1987 Henry Tysinger assumes the position of Director of Music.

1989 The Permanent Fund for capital improvements is established. Highland celebrates its 40th Anniversary.

1993 The Rev. Maggi L. Henderson is called to Highland as associate pastor.

1995 The Memorial Garden is dedicated. Heather Ferguson assumes the position of Director of Education.

1998 The “Living Stones” campaign is conducted and major building renovations are completed.

1999 Highland celebrates its 50th anniversary.

2003 The “Graceful Place” campaign is conducted for renovation of the sanctuary.

2004 The Rev. Debbie Layman is called to Highland as associate pastor.

2006 The Rev. Stephen P. McCutchan retires on May 31 after twenty-three years as the pastor of the congregation. The Rev. Jim Wagner is called to be Highland's Interim Pastor.

2007 The “Praise” campaign is conducted for the rebuilding of the pipe organ and the purchase of two buses.

2008 The Rev. Randy Harris is called as Highland's fifth pastor. Jon Watt is called as Highland’s first full-time Director of Youth Ministry

2009 Highland celebrates its 60th anniversary. Rev. Jon Watt is ordained and installed as Highland’s first Associate Pastor for Youth.

2010 Darryl Ray is called to Highland as the Interim Director of Education and later called to be the Director of Education.

2012 Henry Tysinger retires as Director of Music after 25 years. Highland calls Dr. Nathan Zullinger to be the Director of Music. Highland begins the “Many Gifts, One Spirit” campaign to renovate the Activity Building.

2013 Chris Hughes is called to Highland as the Interim Director of Youth Ministry. Steve McCutchan is elected to the honorary position of Pastor Emeritus.

2014 Courtney Stevens is called to Highland as the Associate Pastor for Youth and Young Adult Ministry.

2016 The oak podium that was Highland’s first pulpit has come home to the area where it served in the church’s early days. All are invited to see it in the Gathering Place by the door into the Archives Room.


worship

serve

grow

footer lineHighland Presbyterian Church  |  2380 Cloverdale Avenue, Winston-Salem, NC 27103-2012  |  Phone: 336-724-6303  |  Church Newsletter  |  info@highlandpres.org